The Ngong Ping 360 Cable car will be closed for replacement of the ropeway system from January 9, 2017 until June 2017.
The Ngong Ping Village will remain open and you can still reach the Big Buddha by Bus 23 from Tung Chung or Ferry from Central Pier 6 to Mui Wo and then Bus 2 to Ngong Ping. Lantau Tours are still being conducted and replacing the Cable Car portion with coach service.
Featured Lantau Island Tours: Ngong Ping Cable Car, Big Buddha, Po Lin Monastery, Tai O Fishing Village
This is one of our favorite day Trips from Hong Kong. It bundles together some of the top attractions in Lantau Island.
It can be done easily on your own
using many kinds of public transportation, and on this day trip you will definitely experience
most of them: MTR, buses, ferries, taxis, and the fab Cable Car to bring you to the Ngong Ping plateau. Or you can opt to have
somebody guide you and arrange the details. See below.
These are some of the highlights:
...the Big Buddha
is easy to spot, just follow the crowds...
...and climb the 260 steps to the foot of the podium for a closer look
...and the amazing 360 views from the circular platform
Don't miss the lavish interior and the Three Buddha altar
...where we take a boat trip through the stilt houses
...and walk around the colorful market
This day trip brings you to:
- Ngong Ping Cable Car
- Big Buddha
- Po Lin Monastery
- Wisdom Path
- Tai O Fishing Village and Market
- Boat Trip through Stilt Village
Easy DIY Lantau Island Tour
- To Ngong Ping Cable Car Lower Terminal: From Hong Kong or Kowloon, take the MTR to Tung Chung Station, follow signs to the Cable Car station. See Ngong Ping 360 How To Get There here.
- To Ngong Ping Village: Board the Cable Car which will bring you to the Ngong Ping Upper Terminal which brings you to Ngong Ping Village
- To the Giant Buddha: From Ngong Ping Village, you will spot the Buddha on top of the mountain, just follow the crowds
- To the Po Lin Monastery: A 5-minute walk from the Big Buddha, there are signs posted that should direct you
- To the Wisdom Path: A short walk, also well-marked from either the Big Buddha or the Monastery
- To Tai O Fishing Village:
- Take Bus 21 from Ngong Ping Village interchange, buses run every hour or so, and it takes 10-15 minutes to Tai O, or
- Take a taxi, they use the meter, should cost around HK50, the taxi stands are also at the Public Transport Interchange.
- From Tai O back to where you started: You can back track and come back the same way
- Bus from Tai O to Ngong Ping Village > Cable Car to Tung Chung > MTR back to your hotel, or
- Ferry from Tai O to Mui Wo > Ferry from Mui Wo to Central or
- Ferry from Tai O to Tung Chung > MTR from Tung Chung to your hotel
Easier Lantau Island Guided Tour, Starts and Ends in Tung Chung
This is an excellent alternative during the dates the cable car is out of operation (until May/June 2017). Includes transport by coach from Tung Chung to the Ngong Ping Village. With your guide, you visit the Big Buddha and the Po Lin Monastery, then you take the coach to Tai O Fishing Village where a boat excursion is also arranged.
Three convenient time slots:
- 11:15am - 3:45pm
- 12:00pm - 4:15pm
- 2:15pm - 6:30pm
360 Lantau Land and Sea Guided Tour from Tung Chung US$ 18 per person, children under 3 FREE - More information and Booking ››
Easiest Lantau Island Guided Tour, Starts and Ends in Hong Kong and Kowloon Hotels
Take a guided tour with pick ups at several centrally located Hong Kong and Kowloon hotels, no guessing which bus to take
or which MTR line, what could be more convenient?
Itinerary covers the same attractions as above, but in reverse.
Your day trip from Hong Kong begins with a ride on an express ferry across Hong Kong's harbour to Lantau Island where
you then board a coach to take you to one of Lantau's pristine beaches.
Tour Highlights include:
- Giant Buddha
- Po Lin Monastery
- Vegetarian Lunch at Po Lin Monastery
- Wisdom Path
- Express ferry trip across Hong Kong's harbour to Lantau Island
- Tai O fishing village and its traditional houses on stilts
- Ngong Ping cable car journey from Ngong Ping Village to Tung Chung town (NOTE: Cable Car is closed until May/June 2017 due to maintenance, alternative transport is arranged)
Lantau Island Day Trip from Hong Kong Adult US$137 Child (2-11) US$112 - More information and Booking ››