July 1st in Hong Kong is a public holiday that commemorates the Anniversary of the Establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or the handover of Hong Kong from the United Kingdom to Mainland China in 1997.
The scope and extent of the celebrations have varied over the years including parades,
flag-raising ceremonies, cultural performances, sports matches, and as in last year's case being the special 20th Anniversary, a fantastic fireworks display.
2018 celebrates the 21st Anniversary and many events and activities organised by state offices as well as many community groups to conmemorate the return of Hong Kong to the motherland will take place throughout the territory. Unfortunately, fireworks have not so far been announced for the 2018 handover celebrations.
District Carnivals and Festivals to Commemorate the 21st Anniversary of the HK SAR
The following events are planned to commemorate the 21st Anniversary of the HK SAR. All events are open and free to the public unless otherwise specified.
- Flag Raising Ceremonies on July 1st, 2018:
- Golden Bauhinia Square - 8:00 am
- Tai Po Waterfront Park - 7:00 am - 11:00 am
- Ginza Plaza, Tin Shui Wai - 7:45 am
- Launch Ceremony to Celebrate the 21st Anniversary of Hong Kong's Return to the Motherland and Dragon and Lion Carnival at Victoria Park - June 30 - July 2, 2018 at Victoria Park from 11:00 am to evening. Dragon and Lion displays, performances and parades, workshops on paper cutting, lanterns, pottery-making, etc. And besides the cultural performances there will also be an exhibition to showcase Beijing's "Greater Bay Area" plan to turn the Hong Kong, Macau and 9 Bay Area mainland cities into an innovation powerhouse rivalling Silicon Valley.
Highlight on July 1st will be the Lion and Dragon Parade consisting of 400 lions and two humongous golden dragons which will set off at 9:30 am from North Point and march towards Victoria Park where the parade will end. More info at www.hkcacelebration.hk/
- Celebrations at Wong Tai Sin Community Centre - July 1, 2018 - 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Artists from various fields will provide different kinds of performances including dancing, singing, martial arts, etc.
- Central & Western District Carnival at Sheung Wan Cultural Square - July 1st, 2018 - 2:00 pm. A carnival with singing, dance magic, lion dance performances and game booths
- SaiKung Variety Show at Hang Hau Sports Centre - July 1st, 2018 - 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. A variety show including pop-singer performances, dragon and lion dances, drumming, choirs, etc.
- Choir Concert by Hong Kong Arts Chorus at Leighton Hill Community Hall - July 1st, 2018 at 2:15 pm
- Tsuen Wan Carnival at Shopping Mall of D.PARK - July 1st, 2018 - 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Fun family activities such as booth games and DIY workshops, martial arts, etc.
- Tai Po Lion and Kirin Dance Performances at Tai Po Community Centre - July 1st, 2018 - 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- Gala Performances at Hong Kong Stadium - July 1st, 2018 - 7:45 pm featuring Joey Yung and Keqin Lee. Concert is free and tickets will be arranged for public distribution starting at 10:00 am on June 26, limit two tickets per person, more info and registration (site in Chinese).
- Guangxi Acrobats at Hung Hom Stadium - July 2 - 3, 2018 - Tickets will be arranged for public distribution starting at 10:00 am on June 26, limit two tickets per person. They will be distributed at Room 1-7, 23/F, Central Plaza, 77 Wing Hong Street, Cheung Sha Wan, Kowloon (Hong Kong and Guangxi Association of Societies). For enquiries, please call 3595 1191.
- Hong Kong Hakka Association Trampoline Fun Day at Tai Po Sports Association Li Fook Lam Indoor Sports Centre - July 2, 2018.
- Badminton Reunification Cup 2018 at Tai Po Sports Centre - July 2, 2018
More Info and comprehensive list of events at the official website http://www.hksar21.gov.hk/eng/.
Please note that the Official Flag Raising Ceremony last year took place at Bauhinia Square at 8:00 am and entry was for holders of valid passes only. NO PUBLIC VIEWING AREA WAS SET UP FOR THIS EVENT. The nearby area was also designated as a restricted zone by the Police. It is probable that a similar set up will take place this year.
Top Discounts and Offers
Hong Kong Events By Month
Most Popular Excursions