July 1st in Hong Kong is a public holiday that commemorates the Anniversary of the Establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or the handover of Hong Kong from the United Kingdom to Mainland China in 1997.
The scope and extent of the celebrations have varied over the years including parades,
flag-raising ceremonies, cultural performances, sports matches, and as in the case of special anniversaries 10th or 20th for example, a fantastic fireworks display.
2019 celebrates the 22nd Anniversary and many events and activities organised by state offices as well as many community groups to conmemorate the return of Hong Kong to the motherland will take place throughout the territory. Unfortunately, fireworks have not so far been announced for the 2019 handover celebrations.
District Carnivals and Festivals to Commemorate the 22nd Anniversary of the HK SAR
Events and celebrations are scattered throughout the month. Here are some highlights. All events are open and FREE to the public unless otherwise specified.
- Flag Raising Ceremonies on July 1st, 2019:
- Golden Bauhinia Square - 8:00 am
- Ginza Plaza, Tin Shui Wai - 7:45 am
- Half Marathon and 10K Race in Shatin, Ma Liu Shui and Tai Po - July 1st, 2019 - 7:00 am.
- Tsuen Wan Carnival at Shopping Mall of D.PARK - July 1st, 2019 - 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Fun family activities such as booth games and DIY workshops, martial arts, etc.
- SaiKung Variety Show at Hang Hau Sports Centre - July 1st, 2019 - 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. A variety show including pop-singer performances, dragon and lion dances, drumming, choirs, etc.
- Carnival at Cheung Chau Sports Centre - July 1st, 2019 - 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. A Carnival with stage performances, game booths, etc.
- Central & Western District Carnival at Charter Road Pedestrian Precint - July 7, 2019 - 2:00 pm. A carnival with stage performances, ceremony, lion dances, game booths, etc.
- Tai Po District Youth Carnival at Tai Po Hui Sports Centre - July 13, 2019 - 12:00 pm. A Carnival with stage performances, game booths, etc.
- Kowloon City Variety Show at Kai Tak Community Hall - July 13, 2019 - 3:00 pm. A Carnival with wonderful variety shows, game booths, etc.
- Wong Tai Sin Dance Performance Carnival at Po Kong Village Road Sports Centre - July 14, 2019 - 10:00 am. A carnival with different kinds of dancing performances.
More Info and comprehensive list of events at the official website http://www.hksar22.gov.hk/eng/.
Top Discounts and Offers
Hong Kong Events By Month
Most Popular Excursions