July 1st in Hong Kong is a public holiday that commemorates the Anniversary of the Establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or the handover of Hong Kong from the United Kingdom to Mainland China in 1997.
The scope and extent of the celebrations have varied over the years including parades, flag-raising ceremonies, cultural performances, sports matches, and as in the case of special anniversaries 10th or 20th for example, a fantastic fireworks display.
2022 celebrates the 25th Anniversary and many events and activities organised by state offices as well as many community groups to conmemorate the return of Hong Kong to the motherland will take place throughout the territory. Sadly, the legendary fireworks display will not take place as Covid still presents many challenges; however, there will be a "special edition of A Symphony of Lights" to commemorate the ocassion with possibly drones and lasers, and a flurry of small scale fireworks shooting from the buildings on both sides of the harbour.
District Carnivals and Festivals to Commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the HK SAR
Events and celebrations are organised by the various District councils and scattered throughout the months. Events range from sketching and painting activities, football matches, dancing competitions, cultural nights, dragon and lion parades, marching bands, concerts and art exhibitions, tai chi and martial arts, carnivals and fairs.
Besides the main celebrations on July 1st, hundreds of events to be held throughout the year are planned for the 2022 festivities and some are already underway.
Here's a peek at what's in store for the 25th Anniversary:
Hong Kong is gearing up for the occasion as they get ready to beautfy all public spaces. Lavish decorations will adorn the city, from walkways and promenades, parks and many points of interest, there will be flower galore, light ups and lantern displays. These are some of the projects that have been revealed so far:
- Blossom Around Town Floral Festivity - June 1 to October 31, 2022 enjoy the city in full bloom, all prominent parks and locations in all 18 districts of Hong Kong
- Kwun Tong Festive Lighting - June 1 to July 31, 2022
- Light Festival in Central and Western District Promenade - June 15 to August 31, 2022
- Vibrant Hong Kong Thematic Lantern Display in Central - June 27 to October 14, 2022
- Light Art Installation and Light up Ceremony at the bridges along Lam Tsuen River and Tai Po Arts Centre - June 30 to December 31, 2022
In the art and cultural scene, the celebrations include a series of exhibitions, concerts and cultural shows. These are some of the highlights:
- Dunhuang: Enchanting Tales for Millennium, an amazing Canvas Exhibition - August 24 to November 21, 2022 at Hong Kong Heritage Museum
- The Immersive Baroque - Masterpieces from the Capodimonte Museum, Authentic Italian Treasures - July 15 to November 2, 2022 at the Hong Kong Museum of Art
- Opening Exhibitions of the Hong Kong Palace Museum. Exploring the Palace Museum from October 11 to December 6, 2022
- Art @ Harbour at Tamar Park and Online - June 25 to October 9, 2022
- Women and Femininity in Ancient China, Treasures from the Nanjing Museum - November 30, 2022 to February 27, 2023 at Hong Kong Heritage Museum
- Mastering Masterpieces, The Essentials of Chinese Landscape Painting - April 21 - September 14, 2022 at the Hong Kong Museum of Art
- Oi! Street Art Space, New Extensions - From May 24, 2022 at Oi! at 12 Oil Street North Point
- Memories 25 at the Central-Mid-Levels Escalator and Walkway System - June 11 to August 7, 2022
- The 25th Anniversary Concert Celebration at the Concert Hall of the Hong Kong Cultural Centre - June 20, 2022
- The 25th Anniversary Concert Celebration at the Concert Hall of the Hong Kong City Hall - June 25, 2022
- The London Philharmonic Orchestra Concert Screening - August 20 - 21, 2022
- Performing Arts Carnival at Tuen Mun Town Hall - May 29, 2022
- Performing Arts Carnival at Sha Tin Town Hall - July 31, 2022
- Performing Arts Carnival at Tsuen Wan Town Hall - August 7, 2022
- Performing Arts Carnival at Yuen Long Theater - November 20, 2022
- Performing Arts Carnival at Kwai Tsing Theater - December 18, 2022
- Eastern District Cultural Nights at Sunbeam Theatre - June 29 - 30, 2022
- Cantonese Opera Celebration at Yuen Long Theatre - June 30, 2022
- Cantonese Opera Celebration at the Grand Theatre at Hong Kong Cultural Centre - August 16, 2022
Top highlight sports events include:
- Dragon Boat Races: Saikung Dragon Boat Gala, Tuen Mun Dragon Boat Races - June 3, 2022
- HKSAR 25th Anniversary Sailing Cup - June 11 - 25, 2022 https://www.sailing.org.hk/
- The 25th Anniversary Hong Kong Reunification Raceday, Hong Kong Reunification Snowball at Sha Tin Race Course - June 27 and July 1st, 2022
- All LCSD sport and leisure facilities that normally charge an entrance fee will be open for free use on July 1st.
There will be plenty of activities throughout the year for kids including all sorts of drawing, calligraphy, poetry, dancing competitions and the like as well as the many carnivals and fun days staged by all the local districts. Some highlights this year:
- The Big Eight Dinosaur Revelation - July 18 to November 16, 2022 at the Hong Kong Science Museum
- SaiKung Fun Day at the Hong Kong Velodrome - June 25, 2022
- Grand Parade by Disciplines Services and Youth Groups, Annual Parade at Queen Elizabeth Stadium
- Variety Show of Special School Students - Let Your Love Shine 2022 at Queen Elizabeth Stadium - August 11, 2022
- Happy @ Parks - Toy Formula 1 - June 19, 2022 at Lai Chi Kok Park
- Happy @ Parks - Water Fight Day - July 1, 2022 at Tin Yip Road Park
- Happy @ Parks - Pet Carnival - October 30, 2022 at Victoria Park
- Happy @ Parks - Family Camp Out Night - November 12 - 13, 2022 at Tai Po Waterfront Park
- Happy @ Parks - Frisbee - December 4, 2022 at Kai Tak Station Square
- Happy @ Parks - Flower Viewing and Sketching - December 18, 2022 at Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Garden
Events are being listed as they are announced on the official website at http://www.hksar25.gov.hk/en/. Also check the LCSD Website for all programmes sponsored by the LCSD and the HKJC.
Flag Raising Ceremony and Flypast
This is pageantry at its best featuring Hong Kong's Guards of Honor, Police and Military marching bands, and a Grand Flypast as both the Chinese and Hong Kong flags are raised to full mast at Golden Bauhinia Square, the site of the original handover ceremony in 1997.
The event is quite short and as expected, fully-attended by government officials and dignitaries.
When?: July 1st, 2022 at 8:00 a.m. A second Flypast will take place at noon.
Where?: Golden Bauhinia Square
The Transport Department anticipates that traffic in the vicinity will become significantly congested. There will be road closures as well as suspension of the bus stops on Expo Drive East near Convention Avenue.
Discount Tickets on Most Popular Attractions
Hong Kong Staycation Hot Deals
Hong Kong Events By Month
Most Popular Excursions in Hong Kong
Book with confidence! Free cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Send a Tip!Got something to share? Let us know!