July 1st in Hong Kong is a public holiday that commemorates the Anniversary of the Establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or the handover of Hong Kong from the United Kingdom to Mainland China in 1997.
The scope and extent of the celebrations have varied over the years including parades,
flag-raising ceremonies, cultural performances, sports matches, and as in last year's case being the special 20th Anniversary, a fantastic fireworks display.
2018 celebrates the 21st Anniversary and many events and activities organised by state offices as well as many community groups to conmemorate the return of Hong Kong to the motherland will take place throughout the territory. Unfortunately, fireworks have not so far been announced for the 2018 handover celebrations.
District Carnivals and Festivals to Commemorate the 21st Anniversary of the HK SAR
The schedule of events for the 21st Anniversary on July 1st, 2018 have not been announced. The following are last year's carnivals and celebrations to give you an idea of what is to come. Please stay tuned for an update! All events are open and free to the public unless otherwise specified.
- Central and Western Carnival - A carnival featuring singing and dance performances, magic show, lion dance, game booths at Sheung Wan Cultural Square
- "Heritage Vogue - Hollywood Road" Street Carnival, on Saturday and Sunday July 1-2. The event will be launched at PMQ on July 1 with creative stalls, workshops and music performances as well as the sale of local snacks. On July 2, the event will also take place on the section of Hollywood Road from Aberdeen Street through to the junction with Wyndham Street and will include a cheongsam show, street dances, singing and music performances, guided tours, sketching activities, workshops, exhibitions and more.
- Tsuen Wan Carnival - Booth games and activities at Shopping Mall of D Park
- Yuen Long Celebrations - Flag Rasing Ceremony at Ginza Square, Tin Shui Wai
- Kwung Tong Carnivals - Booth games and activities at various locations
- North District Celebrations - Flag Rasing Ceremony atSheung Shui Reunification Garden
- "Made In Hong Kong" Street Carnival in Sham Shui Po - Singing and dance performances, game booths, local food, outdoor neon lighting decoration, handicraft, workshops at "Made in Hong Kong" Creative Markets: D2 Place. Will run through August 31, 2017
- Lamma Dragon Boat Races - Near Sok Kwu Wan Pier Lamma Island
- Yau Tsim Mong Carnival - A carnival with classic motor cars exhibition, game booths, lion dance, mini electric-vehicles experience, variety show and more at MacPherson Playground, Mongkok
- Storm the Park - Splish Splash - Water games and carnival activities at Tin Yip Road Park, Yuen Long
- Dragon Chinese Traditional Culture Carnival on Sunday July 2 in Wanchai - Traditional fire dragon dance performance, game booths and more at Southern Playground, Wan Chai
In addition, there was FREE admission to all leisure facilities and sports venues in all 18 districts on July 1st.
More Info and comprehensive list of events at the official website http://www.hksar20.gov.hk/eng/.
Please note that the Official Flag Raising Ceremony last year took place at Bauhinia Square at 8:00 am and entry was for holders of valid passes only. NO PUBLIC VIEWING AREA WAS SET UP FOR THIS EVENT. The nearby area was also designated as a restricted zone by the Police. It is probable that a similar set up will take place this year.
Top Discounts and Offers
Hong Kong Events By Month
Most Popular Excursions