The Volvo Ocean Race is a world-class premier global yacht race and one of the most demanding team sporting events in the world. It is quite simply, the Everest of Sailing.
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 departs Alicante, home team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag
Held every three years, the race around the world and accross four oceans, touches six continents and twelve host cities, of which, Hong Kong will be one in the 2017-2018 edition for the very first time in the event's history hosting the end of the fourth leg of the race.
This year's race will take the teams to Alicante, Lisbon, Cape Town, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Auckland, Itajaí, Newport, Cardiff, Gothenburg and concluding in The Hague of the Netherlands.
Sailing enthusiasts, this might be your one and only chance to experience the Volvo Ocean Race in Hong Kong!
Besides the ocean legs, there will be in-port sailing races in Hong Kong including a Round the Hong Kong Island Race.
The seven boat teams are expected to arrive in Hong Kong on January 20, 2018.
Throughout the fifteen days while the Volvo Ocean Race visits Hong Kong, Kai Tak Runway Park will be transformed into an entertainment hub with sailing races, live music, performers, interactive games, food, bars, lion dancers, free give-aways and more.
Volvo Ocean Race Hong Kong Festival Highlights
- The Seven-Yacht Fleet which will be berthed at Kai Tak Runway Park. These impressive 10-storey yachts are expected to arrive on January 20
- The Globe Cinema Experience: where you can really immerse in the experience and understand what it's like in the race. A full-sized race boat will be cut in half to allow visitors the chance to explore inside the quarters and have a go at the steering wheel...
- The Festival Activities and Entertainment: Live music, food, lion dances, interactive and VR games, plenty of sailing and watersports offered by the many groups and associations, and naturally, a Volvo test track.
- Racing Action: a number of scheduled sailing races will take place in Victoria Harbour as part of the Volvo Ocean Race:
- Practice race on January 25, 2018 at 2:00 pm
- Key HGC-In Port Race on January 27, 2018 at 2:00 pm
- Around HK Island Race on January 28, 2018 at 11:30 am
- Arcadis Pro-Am Race on January 29, 2018 at 2:00 pm. This is a friendly race that offers guests a chance to race on board one of the racing boats with the Sailors
- The Race-Restart on February 7, 2018 at 2:00 pm as the seven yachts depart Hong Kong for New Zealand on their way for the 5th leg of the series
- Canto Pop Concert featuring Sammi Cheng Sau-man on January 26, 2018
How To Get To Kai Tak Runway Park
There is no MTR station nearby and road access to Kai Tak Runway Park is limited. Your best bet is to take one of the ferrys to take you straight to the Volvo Ocean Race location:
- There will be a FREE Volvo Ocean Race Ferry from Kwun Tong Ferry Pier which will run every 10 minutes on weekends and 15 minutes on weekdays. Kwun Tong Ferry Pier is about a 10 minute walk from the Kwun Tong MTR station
- The Weekend HGC FREE Ferry to Volvo Ocean Race from Central Pier 10 will depart every hour from 10 am to 6 pm on Saturdays and Sundays
- The North Point Ferry to Volvo Ocean Race will run mostly on weekends every half-hour and cost HK$6. North Point Ferry is a 2-minute walk from the North Point MTR station.
Volvo Ocean Race Festival in Hong Kong
When: January 17 - 31, 2018. Boats are expected to arrive on January 20, 2018
Where: Kai Tak Runway Park
How Much: FREE! Tickets are required for Friday January 26 which features the Grand Concert with Canto-pop star Sammi Cheng Sau-man joined by local hit Gin Lee and singer songwriter Ellen Woo along with Adrian Foo. 8,000 free tickets have been available to the public on a first-come, first-served basis (registration via www.ticketflap.com).
More Info: www.volvooceanracehk.com
Discount Tickets on Most Popular Attractions
Hong Kong Staycation Hot Deals
Hong Kong Events By Month
Most Popular Excursions in Hong Kong
Book with confidence! Free cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Send a Tip!Got something to share? Let us know!