A Gorgeous Summer Night in Hong Kong
As Hong Kong slowly gets back to normal, many of our favourite Summer events are on schedule and many of our most popular attractions like the Ngong Ping Cable Car and the Big Buddha, harbour cruises, the Peak Tram, etc. have reopened.
Our usual water party events at Ocean Park and Disneyland have not yet been confirmed for this year but the good news is the parks have reopened with many new attractions launching this summer. Remember both require advance reservations for the day of your visit!
Temperatures are picking up, yes, we're approaching the wettest hottest weeks of the year... so don't forget to pack very light, cotton, breathable clothing, sandals, hat, etc. and also a light sweater for the air-conditioning which will be running full blast at shopping centres, restaurants and hotel lobbys.
Traveling with the kids? Amusement parks have reopened and they are fun rain or shine, you are even expected to get wet at some rides. On the other hand, if it is raining too hard, some of the rides might be closed.
We are also in the middle of Typhoon season... watch out for any alerts. Here's what you need to know about typhoons in Hong Kong.
Many of our most popular attractions like the Ngong Ping Cable Car and the Big Buddha, harbour cruises, the Peak Tram, etc. have reopened.
So let's get on with the fun part, here's what's going on in Hong Kong this July:
Highlight Celebrations and Events in July 2022
- 25th Anniversary of the establishment of the Hong Kong SAR - July 1st, 2022
- HKTDC Hong Kong Book Fair 2022 - July 20 - 26, 2022
- The Hong Kong Film Awards - Postponed to July 17, 2022
- Hong Kong Jewelry Show - April 14 - 18, 2022 rescheduled to 29 July - 2 August 2022
- International Arts Carnival - July 8 - August 14, 2022
- The Big Eight Dinosaur Revelation at the Hong Kong Science Museum - July 18 to November 16, 2022
- Ani-Com And Games Fair 2022 - July 29 - August 2, 2022
- Water Play Street Summer Party at Hong Kong Disney - Now through August 31, 2022
- Ocean Park Sea Land Expedition Seasonal Adventure Series and inFUNity Entry Pass - July 1 - August 31, 2022
And here's what's hot this summer with kids in Hong Kong
Hong Kong Attractions, Tours, Activities that have reopened This July 2022
Tours, attractions and activities that can be conducted safely while adhering to proper social distancing guidelines have reopened as have most outdoor activities.
It's time to get out! Here's a list of fun outdoor things to do that have restarted operations and can be booked now. When possible book tickets online and/or make a reservation as many of the activities are running on limited capacities.
- The Peak Tram, Peak Tower, Sky Terrace and Peak Galleria are OPEN
- The Hong Kong Observation Wheel - is OPEN
- Ocean Park - is OPEN, purchase tickets online, you also must make a reservation for the day of your visit
- Hong Kong Disneyland - is OPEN, purchase tickets online, you also must make a reservation for the day of your visit
- Sky100 Observation Deck - is OPEN
- Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car - is OPEN, purchase tickets online
- Harbour Cruises have restarted, the following have resumed sailings:
- Aqua Luna evening cruises
- Fantastic outdoor excursions: hiking, kayaking, swimming, mountain biking, paddleboarding...
- Lion Rock Sunset Hiking Adventure - Victoria Harbour's most dramatic summit - 4 hours, starts from Wong Tai Sin MTR station
- Victoria Peak Private Evening Hike - 2 hours, meets at Central MTR Station, Victoria Peak Tram tickets for return optional
- Geopark Kayaking Adventure - 7 hours, meets at Hang Hau MTR Station
- The Mai Po Nature Reserve is OPEN, the WWF offers eco-visits Thrusdays through Sundays, which is the easiest way to visit the reserve without having to get a government permit. You can book an eco-visit here
- Hong Kong Wetland park - is OPEN, the Mudflat Hide has also reopened
- Sai Kung Standup-Paddle Adventure - 5 hours, meets at Hang Hau MTR station
- Hike the legendary Ngong Ping 360 Rescue Trail to the Big Buddha - 4 hours, starts at Tung Chung MTR station
- Hike the Yellow Dragon Gorge Nature Trek in Lantau Island - 5 hours, meets at Tung Chung MTR station on Lantau Island
- Plover Cove Bicycling and Hiking Adventure - 4 hours, meets at Tai Po Market MTR station
- Tai Mo Shan Waterfall Hike the tallest waterfall in Hong Kong - 4 hours, meets at Tai Wo MTR station
- The Dragon's Back Hike and Tai Long Wan Beach - 5 hours, meets at Shau Kei Wan MTR station
- Ma On Shan Climbing Adventure - 6 hours, starts at Heng On MTR ends in Saikung town
- Tolo Harbour Cycling Adventure - 4 hours, meets at Tai Po Market MTR Station
Ongoing Events This July 2022
- Free cultural exhibitions: Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Feng Shui
- The Symphony of Lights, Hong Kong's light and sound show
- Last Chance for the Horse Races at Happy Valley, racing season will be ending this month!
Discount Tickets on Most Popular Attractions
Hong Kong Staycation Hot Deals
25th Anniversary of the Establishment of the Hong Kong SAR - July 1, 2022
This is a public holiday and the scope and extent of the celebrations have varied over the years including parades, flag-raising ceremonies, cultural performances, and in the case of special Anniversaries, 10th, 15th, 20th, and perhaps this year's 25th Anniversary, fantastic fireworks displays
Events commemorating this year's 25th Anniversary of Establishment of the HK SAR are already underway and include, as in recent years, a splendid variety of activities ranging from sports events to cultural and arts programmes, lion dances, flag-raising ceremonies, parades, etc. organised by state offices as well as many community groups.
Hong Kong International Jewelry Show -
The Hong Kong International Jewellery Show is Asia's largest of its kind, higlighting exhibitor's latest collections and masterpieces, certainly a glamorous and glittery event with the latest in trends and design.
Check out the Hall of Jade, the Hall of Time, the Hall of Chic, the Hall of Nature (rare precious stones and pearls)...
For security reasons, the show is only open to trade visitors 18 or older, you must register and bring your passport or ID in person to the Registration Counter and get a validation stamp.
When? April 14 - 18, 2022 rescheduled to 29 July - 2 August 2022
Where? Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre
How Much? HK$ 100
The 40th Hong Kong Film Award Ceremony
The Annual Hong Kong Film Award Ceremony is the Oscars of Hong Kong.
Like the Academy Awards, it recognizes achievements in filmmaking and is open to Hong Kong Films longer than one hour that were released in Hong Kong within the previous calendar year.
It is a star-studded affair with prominent local celebrities that make an appearance at this most prestigious red carpet event.
When? July 17, 2022
Where? The Star Hall at The Kowloonbay International Trade and Exhibition Centre (KITEC)
International Arts Carnival
A fascinating line up is put together every summer in all sorts of artistic fields: theatre, music, dance, film and magic! It's a great chance for family time, specially on those muggy hot days.
Besides stage programmes there are also Library, Film and Museum Programmes, workshops and exhibitions, online programmes and more.
2022 on-stage Programme will feature Cinderella with the Hong Kong Ballet, The Enchanted Bookshop Musical, Grave of the Fireflies and many many more.
When? July 8 - August 14, 2022
The Big Eight Dinosaur Revelation Exhibition
This is a large-scale dinosaur exhibition showcasing eight original specimens of the most iconic fossil skeletons together for the first time: Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Spinosaurus, Allosaurus, Hesperosaurus, Diplodocus, Hatzegopteryx and a baby sauropod. These specimens are extremely rare and have a high level of completeness.
This exhibition is one of the celebration events of the 25th Anniversary of the Establishment of HKSAR and sponsored by The Hong Kong Jockey Club.
When?: July 18 to November 16, 2022
Where?: Hong Kong Science Museum
How Much?: General admission Adults HK20, Concessionary HK10, Full-Time Students FREE
HKTDC Hong Kong Book Fair 2022
Organised by the HK Trade Development Council, it's not only books, books and more books on this week-long affair, lately the emphasis has also been on multimedia, e-books and e-learning resources.
Besides the publishers' exhibits, there is a range of cultural events including seminars and forums featuring
English-language world-renowned writers.
If you are a book worm, don't miss this chance to snatch some bargains (specially on the very last day of the fair)!
When?: July 20 - 26, 2022
Where?: Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre
How Much?: General admission Adults HK25, children HK10, early morning admission (before noon) or evening (after 7pm) HK10, tourists HK10
Ani-Com and Games Hong Kong
If you have teenagers you will not want to miss this one! Ani-Com and Games is Hong Kong's hottest event in the digital entertainment, comics, animation, video games and toys and collectibles arena and the most popular summer carnival in Hong Kong.
Packed with the latest in big wave trend-setting entertainment, this is one of the most
prominent shows in Asia.
Don't miss the many events including stage forums and presentations, model kit competitions, comic Master's autograph sessions, etc.
When?: July 29 - August 2, 2022
Where?: Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre
How Much?: HK$25 Tickets available onsite and in advance at 7-11 and Circle K Convenience Stores
Water Play Street Summer Party a Water Extravaganza!
Every summer Hong Kong Disneyland creates a big splash of fun with a fun-filled water party. Themes have varied throughout the years, the 2023 summer edition programme is TBA.
Coming this summer is the highly anticipated Frozen-themed land, "World of Frozen" which is expected to open in the second half of 2023.
And also in 2023, the Walt Disney Company marks its 100th Anniversary! We can expect a series of exciting events including character appearances in their celebratory outfits, festive merchandise, foods and souvenirs.
When? June through August 2023
Where? Throughout Main Street USA at Hong Kong Disneyland
How Much? Disney Street Summer Party activities are free with Park Admission.
Remember you can buy discount tickets online at Klook.com:
HK Disneyland Discount Tickets Adult
HK639 HKD570 US$73, Children HK475 HKD435 US$56
More Info and Booking at Klook.com
Ocean Park Summer Programme TBA
2023 Summer Splash activities are TBA. Last year's Summer Adventure included a series of exciting activities with varying levels of challenges, suitable for children of all age groups. By immersing themselves in nature and making up-close observation, children will get to know the habitats, behaviours, and body features of various animals.
The Adventures included a variety of activities, children can take on challenges through teamwork, including treasure hunting and group games, to sharpen their senses, and train their scientific thinking skills. Explorers can also get imaginative and expand their endless creativity by creating different artwork, including designing a home and "toys" for animals.
When?: 2023 TBA
Where?: Ocean Park Hong Kong
How Much? There is a programme fee and enrolment is mandatory
Remember you can buy discount tickets online at Klook.com:
Ocean Park Discount Tickets Adult
HK528 HKD360 US$46, Children HK279 HKD216 US$28, further discounts for weekday tickets
Autumn Package HK320 US$40 adults, HK190 $24 child, and Halloween Combo Tickets also available.
Limited Early Bird Offer for Water World Ocean Park HK Ticket
More Info and Booking at Klook.com
Ongoing Hong Kong Events
These are some popular ongoing events that are worth checking out, specially since they are FREE or offered for a low fee!
These events feature some of the great and ancient traditions of the territory and are offered by experts in their corresponding fields:
The Symphony of Lights
The Symphony of Lights is Hong Kong's light and sound show, a tribute to the city and its people, their diversity, energy and vitality.
The stage is the entire city, which is what makes it so unique, you can watch the lights from just about anywhere in the waterfront.
This free show offered by the city, takes place every night at 8:00 pm and lasts about 12 minutes.
When?: Every Night
Where?: Can be seen from both sides of Victoria Harbour, specially stunning aboard a Harbour Cruise.
How Much? Free
- More on Hong Kong's Symphony of Lights, best spots to watch.
- Symphony of Lights Harbour Cruise with Aqualuna (NOW SAILING! Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays)
The Horse Races Are On! This is how you can attend
The horse races in Hong Kong whether or not you are a horse racing enthusiast is an experience not to be missed!
The beautiful horses, the skillful jockeys, the crowds going wild, they all add up to an exciting, fun-filled, thrilling atmosphere in two world-class venues, at the Sha Tin Racecourse and the iconic Happy Valley Racecourse.
The Happy Valley race course itself is a sight in itself, the city has built around it through the years and it is now practically surrounded by skyscrapers, an awesome experience specially at night when the city is illuminated.
At this time, COVID-19 pandemic control measures have been relaxed and races will be staged in accordance with prevailing restrictions which enable the HKJC to bring more racing fans back to enjoy the on-course entertainment in person. Walk-in admission has been resumed for both public and members enclosures. Customers are encouraged to make advance bookings to secure admission for indoor catering venues. Here are the latest arrangements.
When?: Happy Valley Night Races on Wednesday Nights. On race day, first race starts at 7:15 p.m. and the gates open at 5:15 p.m.
The races are done by 11:00 p.m.
Sha Tin Day Races are on Sundays. First race normally starts at 1:00 pm, earlier if there are more than 10 races. Gates open at 11:00 am.
All races will be streamed live at the HK Jockey Club Racing Channel.
How Much? There are many ways to experience the races, from General Stand to Private Boxes and special packages including dinner and drinks. General Stand entrance starts at HK10. You can join this guided experience and learn all about horse racing and betting, Enjoy the HKJC horse races from the 2M roof deck.
Hong Kong Events By Month
Most Popular Excursions in Hong Kong
Book with confidence! Free cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Send a Tip!Got something to share? Let us know!