This is one of our favorite day Trips from Hong Kong. It bundles together some of the top attractions in Lantau Island.
It can be done easily on your own using many kinds of public transportation, and on this day trip you will definitely experience
most of them: MTR, buses, ferries, taxis, and the fab Cable Car to bring you to the Ngong Ping plateau.
You can also opt to have
somebody guide you and arrange the details including pick up and drop off at your hotel, and if you want a bit more flexibility with a little guidance, there is an option for that as well where you can make your way to Tung Chung (easy with the MTR) and the Cable Car and enjoy more free time on your own at the various attractions.
These are some of the highlights:
Fantastic views on the ride on the Ngong Ping Cable Car
...which brings us to the Ngong Ping Village
...the Big Buddha is easy to spot, just follow the crowds...
...and climb the 260 steps to the foot of the podium for a closer look
...and the amazing 360 views from the circular platform
...on a clear day you can see as far as the islands and the South China Sea
Not far from the Big Buddha is the Po Lin Monastery
Don't miss the lavish interior and the Three Buddha altar
A short walk from the Monastery is the Wisdom Path
Now we head to the Tai O Fishing Village
...where we take a boat trip through the stilt houses
...and walk around the colorful market
This day trip brings you to some of Lantau's best attractions, you can follow the links to find out more about each:
Easy DIY Lantau Island Tour
- To Ngong Ping Cable Car Lower Terminal: From Hong Kong or Kowloon, take the MTR to Tung Chung Station, follow signs to the Cable Car station. See Ngong Ping 360 - How To Get There
- To Ngong Ping Village: Board the Cable Car which will bring you to the Ngong Ping Upper Terminal which brings you to Ngong Ping Village
- To the Giant Buddha: From Ngong Ping Village, you will spot the Buddha on top of the mountain, just follow the crowds
- To the Po Lin Monastery: A 5-minute walk from the Big Buddha, there are signs posted that should direct you
- To the Wisdom Path: A short walk, also well-marked from either the Big Buddha or the Monastery
- To Tai O Fishing Village:
- Take Bus 21 from Ngong Ping Village interchange, buses run every hour or so, and it takes 10-15 minutes to Tai O, or
- Take a taxi, they use the meter, should cost around HK50, the taxi stands are also at the Public Transport Interchange.
- From Tai O back to where you started: You can back track and come back the same way
- Bus from Tai O to Ngong Ping Village > Cable Car to Tung Chung > MTR back to your hotel, or
- Ferry from Tai O to Mui Wo > Ferry from Mui Wo to Central or
- Ferry from Tai O to Tung Chung > MTR from Tung Chung to your hotel
Easier: With A Heritage Insight Tour From Tung Chung
This is a great option for those that want flexibility with a little guidance. The guided portion of the tour starts in the Ngong Ping Village and takes you to Tai O where you also get to visit a traditional stilt house, you also visit the Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery.
That means you make your way to Tung Chung on your own and ride the Cable Car to Ngong Ping. Tung Chung is an easy MTR ride away from either Island side or Kowloon. You have plenty of free time to explore before taking the Cable Car down when you are ready to head back. For the Cable Car you can opt for the Standard or Crystal Cabin.
Tours depart at: 11:15am, 12:15pm, 1:15pm and on Weekends and Public Holidays also at 2:30pm from the Li Nong Tea House (Ngong Ping Village Shop no. 8) so you have to allow ample time to get there with the Ngong Ping Cable Car, try to be at the Tung Chung station at least one hour before your alloted tour time.
Easiest Lantau Island Guided Tour, Starts and Ends in Hong Kong and Kowloon Hotels
Take a guided tour with pick ups at several centrally located Hong Kong and Kowloon hotels, no guessing which bus to take
or which MTR line, what could be more convenient?
Itinerary covers the same attractions as above, but in reverse.
This day trip to Lantau Island will take you
to some of Hong Kong's pristine beaches, traditional fishing vilages, lush valleys, soaring mountains and spiritual enlightenment.
The tour lasts approximately 8 hours
Your day trip from Hong Kong begins with a ride on an express ferry across Hong Kong's harbour to Lantau Island where
you then board a coach to take you to one of Lantau's pristine beaches.
Tour Highlights include:
- Giant Buddha
- Po Lin Monastery
- Vegetarian Lunch at Po Lin Monastery
- Wisdom Path
- Express ferry trip across Hong Kong's harbour to Lantau Island
- Tai O fishing village and its traditional houses on stilts
- Ngong Ping cable car journey from Ngong Ping Village to Tung Chung town
Lantau Island Day Trip from Hong Kong Adult US$135 Child (2-11) US$112 - More information and Booking ››
Nearby Sights in Lantau Island
Don't miss any of the other nearby attractions in Lantau. These can all be done on a DIY day trip or a guided tour to the Island and will certainly cover most of Lantau Highlights:
Discount Tickets on Most Popular Attractions
Hong Kong Staycation Hot Deals
Hong Kong Events By Month
Most Popular Excursions in Hong Kong
Book with confidence! Free cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund